"Since joining the North School I like PE a lot more than I used to as the facilities are excellent and we do lots of different activities." - Year 7 student
"My favourite sport is football because it improves controlling the ball and it can improve your PE grade." - Year 8 student
"We have good competition and high-level sport." - Year 10 student
At The North School, the physical education department plays a vital role in helping students develop both academically and physically in order to provide them with transferable skills that will help them in later life. Students have two fifty minute practical lessons per week which can be increased to five from year 9 if students decide to opt for the subject as a specialised area of their study. At this point theory lessons also, stretch and challenge students in areas relating to anatomy and physiology, leadership, diet and nutrition as well as fitness training and testing. Lessons are engaging, imaginative and built within a creative curriculum to enable students to excel. Throughout the year, students will also have the opportunity to be involved in inter-community sports competitions which take place three times a year, sports day, Kent School games events and a Sports Awards evening takes place too.
Contact – Kray.S@north.kent.sch.uk
As students’ progress through The North School, the physical education department offers a wide range of courses to cover the interests and needs of all students. These courses cover level 2 to level 3 ranges, preparing students for their next step in education or into the world of work.
• BTEC Sport Level 2 (Award) – 4 units: (1 external exam & 3 coursework units) – leads onto 6th form level 3 courses
• Edexcel GCSE PE – 60% practical & 40% theory (includes a 1hr 30 minute exam) - leads onto 6th form level 3 courses
• NCFE Sport & Active Leisure Level 2 – coursework based - develops leadership skills
• Sports Leaders UK: Level 2 & Level 3 – Coursework and logbook - help in the community & work as a coach
• BTEC Sport Level 3 (Subsidiary and Diploma) – 100% coursework based - leads to university